My name is Dr. Weir. Welcome to my website. I created it to connect with people who are seeking solutions to denture concerns. Perhaps you now have dentures that you don’t like. The issue may be appearance, fit, function, or discomfort. Or you may be about to lose your natural teeth, and are worried about getting prosthetic teeth that will look as good or better than your natural smile. Maybe you have friends whose appearance was negatively affected by their denture experience, and you don’t want that to happen to you. See “What causes immediate dentures to look wrong.”
These are topics I deal with and discuss with patients daily. There are solutions for all of them. All too often, however, a patient’s regular dentist does not have the unique answers necessary for the individual’s prosthetic needs.
This website is full of information for you to explore. But before you begin following links and learning, I want to give you an idea of what is meant by “New Beginning Dentures
The term New Beginning
in this instance refers to a conclusion I reached after nearly forty years of evaluating problem denture cases.
The major shortfall was usually a combination of failed elements related to key factors:
- Lack of essential specialized knowledge by the treating dentist.
- Lack of communication between patient and doctor.
- Excessive delegation of design-and-build tasks and decisions to the dental lab, instead of being made by the dentist.
- Lack of information communicated to the lab about patient preferences, measurements, and special considerations.
- The patient having little or no participation in design of the smile (sometimes limited to “here are your new teeth”).
- Excessive time between appointments that causes loss of detail awareness.
- The dentist viewing dentures as an undesirable part of practice.
- Denture patients perceived as complainers, even though their problems are valid and substantial.
If you want to read more about things gone wrong, click here . . .
How I learned to solve denture problems
My career in dentistry began with a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. I earned the title of Doctor of Dental Medicine at Indiana University School of Dentistry in Indianapolis, and served general practice residence at Riegenstrief Hospital.
Post graduate training at Indiana University was an “ah-ha” moment in my life. As I studied removable prosthodontics with a minor in dental materials, I realized that this was an underserved area of dentistry. Creating pathways to denture success, individualized to the needs of the patient, became my driving passion. I entered private practice with this focus in 1983, and have been perfecting methods ever since.
One of the best aspects of this profession, second only to helping people enjoy improved quality of life, is the endless opportunity to continue learning. I have attended dozens of presentations, seminars, and training courses to stay abreast of this fast-evolving field. My practice takes pride in delivering quality service with leading edge technologies and techniques.
While many of my patients come from far away, I am proud to also serve friends and neighbors. I live in Mitchell with my lovely wife, Carol. We have three daughters – Lauren, Eloise, and Victoria. When I am not in the office, exam room, lab, or classroom, I enjoy .